Skip to main content

Tuition and Funding


As a public state school, NMSU charges different tuition rates for resident and non-resident students. The current tuition rates are published by the University Accounts Receivable office, and can be viewed here:

In certain circumstances, non-resident students may petition for residency in order to be granted resident status. Applicants who are current residents of participating western states and US territories may also qualify for in-state tuition through the Western Regional Graduate Program, described below.

Western Regional Graduate Program

The M.A. Program in Anthropology at NMSU is enrolled as an eligible graduate program under the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP). WRGP allows Anthropology M.A. and Graduate Certificate students who are residents of Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) member states to enroll in graduate programs outside of their home state and pay in-state resident tuition. Residents of the following states and territories are eligible to attend our graduate program for in-state resident tuition rates:

  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • North Dakota
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • U.S. Pacific Territories and Freely Associate States
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

Interested applicants should apply directly to the NMSU Graduate School and identify themselves as WICHE WRGP applicants. WRGP applicants must meet NMSU’s WRGP admission requirements and deadlines. If you have further questions about the WRGP program and your eligibility, please contact the Graduate Advisor. 


Graduate Teaching Assistantships

NMSU's Graduate School provides our department with a few Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GAs) for students enrolled full-time (9 credits/semester) in our M.A. program. These GA positions are competitive, and only students who apply by the February 1 target date for matriculation in the fall seemster will be considered for these positions. Assistantships are not usually offered for students matriculating in the spring; however, they may be eligible for consideration in future semesters.

Graduate Research Assistantships

Our faculty members are actively engaged in research, and several direct grant-funded projects that employ full-time graduate students as Graduate Research Assistants (RAs). The availability of these positions varies, and the project directors are soley responsible for recruiting and selecting candidates.