Detailed Program of Study:
The Certificate in Museum Studies is a 3-semester (or one year + summer) program designed for designed for individuals who want to enhance their understanding of museum work but do not need a master’s degree. Many of our students also complete a certificate in conjunction with a Master’s degree in Public History, History, Art History, Anthropology, Studio Art, or other disciplines. The Certificate requirements include 18 credits, 12 of which are required and 6 are selected from a list of controlled electives.
If you wish to complete a graduate certificate, you must apply for admission to this non-degree program. Even if you already enrolled in a graduate program at NMSU, you will need to complete a separate application to be admitted to the certificate program. . Once you have been admitted to the program and have completed all of the necessary coursework, you will need to file a Completion of Graduate Certificate form to be awarded the certificate.
Core Curriculum (12 Credits):
- ANTH 545 Advanced Museology I (3 cr., every Fall)
- ART 503 Preventative Conservation / Collections Care (3 cr., every semester)
- HIST 594 Public History Seminar (3 cr., every Spring)
- INTERNSHIP (credits from ANTH, ART, or HIST) (3 cr.)
Controlled Electives (6 Credits) 2 courses chosen from the following:
- ANTH 508 Native American Intersections and Museums (3 cr.)
- ANTH 540 Cultural Resource Management (3 cr.)
- ANTH 547 Museum Field Methods (3 cr.)
- ANTH 548 Museums & Society (3 cr.)
- ART 501 Museum Conservation Techniques I (3 cr., every Spring)
- ART 502 Museum Conservation Techniques II (3 cr., every Fall)
- ART 579 Graduate Seminar: Art Theory, Criticism, Historiography (3 cr.)
- ART 587 Exhibition Studies (3 cr.)
- HIST 579 Oral History (3 cr.)
- HIST 581 Time Traveling Through New Mexico’s Past (3 cr.)
- HIST 583 Advanced Historic Preservation (3 cr.)
- HIST 586 Interpreting Historic Places for the Public (3 cr.)
Additional electives may be accepted if pre-approved by the Department Head of Anthropology. If there are discrepancies between your transcript and the results of your STAR degree audit for this certificate program, please contact the Department Head ASAP.